Tuesday 28 September 2010

Fava Beans


Well, I don't often do two posts in one day. But I'll be gone tomorrow, apple picking.

A fava bean is another term for broad bean. Broad beans overwinter well, and give you a nice early spring crop before hot weather comes, which they hate.

My fava beans have finally sprouted and are coming up, they are sturdy little things coming out of those honkin' beans! Broad beans are quite big. They are used for flour, and my cousin puts them in soup. I will probably cook with them in soups and such. I learned my lesson last year, I tried starting them in march, but I soaked them way to long and they rotted, only 2 plants made it and were covered in aphids.

If you haven't ever grown broad beans, please consider growing a dozen or so. Plant them now, for an early spring crop. If you live in a cooler climate, you might be able to get some if you plant them in early spring (just not too early).

We are going apple picking tomorrow, up at 5:45 to leave at 7:30!

So long!

English Vintner

No comments:

Post a Comment