Tuesday 13 July 2010

deer

I am not sure what to say. Except, I am MORE than annoyed with the deer in my woods. It has been weeks since I have gone out to my garden and not seen foot marks, a leaf eaten here, and vine here. Up until today I could handle it alright. But, today has gone to far, I don't know what to say. I had almost 30 heads of summer lettuce that are the best summer lettuce seed you can buy. I had it up by the fence, you know, the L of corn around the summer lettuce. Well, today I went out and found that the deer had eaten 28 out of 30 of the heads of lettuce. Yeah, I'm not sure what to say, in 30 days I could have been harvesting heads of summer lettuce. What do I do? I mean!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Man!

And that isn't all. I had sugar baby watermelon. Yeah, well, the deer thought they looked good too. I am not sure if I lost the actual melons (only a few inches in diameter each), or just most of the leaves off the watermelon plant. They also snapped in half a butternut squash vine I had. Meaning the two squash on it had to be harvested. They are about half the size they should be.

So, I took immediate reaction. I went to the house, got my sprayer, filled it with water and blood meal, and a little soap and sprayed. The lettuce, beans, corn, squash, watermelon, and anything else that was by the fence.

I know I should have known better than to plant the lettuce so close the the fence, but....

Oh well. I was just SO looking forward to some watermelons and lettuce. And now......

All I can do is sigh. I guess I need to be spraying with blood meal and garlic more often. Take warning fellow gardeners! :) If you see the foot marks, spray with garlic or blood meal. :) Don't do what I did. :)

Have fun, try to garden without killing all the deer. ; ) hahaha! :)

English Vintner

No comments:

Post a Comment