Thursday 25 August 2011

Interning Possibility

Well, after some thought about what I had written last time, I checked out Rockland's Farm website, and decided to ask them if they were offering interns next year. Shaun replied and told me that they were unsure at this point, but that I should come up and visit the farm before much later in the year, so I can get a feel for what it would be like to live and work their.

So, after looking at my schedule I found an open spot, September 9-10. My plan tentatively, if I had a vehicle (which I've been doing lots of searching and emailing without much success yet) is to drive to the farm (in Maryland) from work, after I get off around 1:30-2:00pm. The drive is 7hr 10min from my house, which means it will probably closer to 7hr 40min from my work.

I'll get in Friday night, sleep, and the following morning I would be able to check out the farm. I would leave Saturday afternoon to come back home.

If they do take interns next year I would try and finish up school as early as possible (I plan to anyway), graduate, and go to intern for the next 4-5 months of the season. Unfortunately I probably wouldn't be able start until the end of May or so.

Anyway...that is what I am thinking about...


English Vintner

2 comments:

  1. You should just drive up here and then take a mega bus. I am next weekend and if you get them far in advance they are pretty cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan. We have a self-sustaining farm about 18 miles from here that hosts interns. They book up fast so if you're looking for another alternative, contact them soon. www.quietcreekherbfarm.com Very nice folks! High tunnels, alternative power, worm composting, herbal products. A yurt and a strawbale room for interns. A little shop, great library and loves innovative, self-sustaining ideas to make life easier. They'd love you!

    ReplyDelete