Wednesday 16 February 2011

Row Cover

Well, the row cover is a liiiiitle more work than I thought it was made out to be. I guess the most time spent was doing things like cutting the stakes for the pvc pipes to go onto, and then making the clothes pins.

Once I had everything ready bending the pvc poles over the beds on the stakes went fast. Prep work took longer than I thought it would.

I think it is going to be a good addition to my garden. I will say, using 10ft pipes with 118" wide agribon is cutting it close. Also, the agribon is a little more fragile then I thought it was. I was trying to get my homemade clothes pins around the pvc pipes to hold down the agribon and on several it ripped small holes as it snugly went over the agrbon.

I am thinking about either rolling up the agribon, or keeping it on and putting some greenhouse plastic over it. If I do that I can start planting right now. I can't do this with all the beds, but probably with at least 2 I hope to do it on.

I only had enough pvc to do two of my beds. I will go to Lowes this week or next and get more to do a couple more beds.

I am hoping that Saturday I can get my dad to help me put the new plastic on the greenhouse. I need to find a way to secure my hoops a little better or something. Maybe just reapply more pvc glue, most of it has come un bonded.

I am looking forward to a good growing season this year! I can't wait to have insect free brassicas! It will also keep the deer from them!!!!

I would recommend this to anyone who is serious about organic gardening and has insects. Most of the time if your soil is right in all nutrients and minerals insects will not eat them. Insects are scavengers, eating the sick plants, to weed out the strongest. Ever wonder why the big guys have to pour so much insecticide on the plants they grow?

Can't wait to see all the new stuff I've learned put to practice! SEA-CROP, Row Cover, Copper Tools, and much more!

English Vintner

No comments:

Post a Comment